Fritz-Haber-Institut der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft  

Historical Review of the Fritz-Haber-Institut
  
   Search:          AC   CP   GFW   MP   PC   TH   MPG      Login      deutsch    
Content   1. Foundation of the Institute   2. The First World War   3. The years 1919-1933   4. National Socialism and the Second World War  
5. The early years after the Second World War   6. Incorporation into the Max-Planck Society   7. Development into a surface and interface science research center     

6. Incorporation into the Max-Planck Society

In 1951, at the age of 71, Max von Laue became chief director of the institute. This started a new period of consolidation in which Max von Laue applied all his influence and his great scientific reputation to the task of rebuilding the institute. The official incorporation into the Max-Planck Society took place in 1953 when the institute was renamed "Fritz-Haber-Institut". At this time Kurt Molière's group was expanded and converted into a department where the structure of surfaces was studied with electron diffraction and by theoretical analysis. Kurt Molière was appointed Scientific Fellow of the institute in 1960. Kurt Ueberreiter who, since 1943, had served as head of a department where physical and chemical properties of polymers were investigated, became a Scientific Fellow of the institute in 1954.

In 1953 Max von Laue brought Gerhard Borrmann to the institute as a department head. Borrmann continued his studies on X-ray absorption in perfect crystals. He became a Scientific Fellow in 1956 and headed the department until his retirement in 1970. Rolf Hosemann, working as assistant to Max von Laue since 1951, studied X-ray diffraction phenomena in solids exhibiting statistical disorder and developed his theory of so-called paracrystals. In 1960 he became head of a department and was appointed Scientific Fellow of the institute in 1966.

In 1953 Max von Laue started to plan a major expansion of the institute. As a result, Ernst Ruska gave up his position in an industrial company in 1955 and became a Scientific Fellow of the institute heading an independent department. In 1957 this department became the "Institute for Electron Microscopy of the Fritz-Haber Institute". A new building for electron microscopy with an administrational and library annex was completed in 1959. The adjacent new lecture hall was not completed until 1963.

Impressum • © FHI
Sat, 6. Aug 2005
Address: Fritz-Haber-Institut der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, Faradayweg 4-6, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Tel: +49 30 8413 30, Fax: +49 30 8413 3155, E-Mail: fhi@fhi-berlin.mpg.de